Israel will be forced to take on Iran’s contentious nuclear program alone once U.S. President Barack Obama’s overture for dialogue with Tehran fails, an Israeli official said on Tuesday.
The official was quoted by Channel 10 as saying that Obama’s insistence on engagement with Iran would force Israel to make a “difficult decision” on the matter by the end of 2009.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and U.S. lawmakers said earlier Tuesday that Israel and the United States had agreed that Iran must not be allowed to continue its contentious nuclear program.
From Haaretz Newsaper
Read the rest:
During his meeting with US President on Monday, Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu made a commitment that Israel would not attack Iran at least of the year and would not disturb Washington’s plans for dialogue with Teheran over its nuclear program in any way, Channel 2 reported on Tuesday.
Also according to the report, Obama said that in three months – not the previously reported six – he would reassess his attempts at dialogue with the Islamic republic.
The two sides decided to set up intimate US-Israeli strategic teams to coordinate moves vis a vis the Iranian issue, continued the report.
However, quoting a top Jerusalem official, Channel 10 said that Israel was concerned that after realizing that his attempts at dialogue with Iran had failed, Obama would refuse to acknowledge it, and that Israel would then be left alone to deal with the threat posed by Teheran and would need “to make a tough decision.”
From the Jerusalem Post