The Obama administration is moving toward reviving the military commission system for prosecuting terrorism suspects held at a detention center in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, even though the president has criticized the system in the past, the New York Times reported.
Officials told the Times the administration’s first public moves on the issue could come as early as next week.
The plan would amend the system created by former president George W. Bush to provide more legal protections for terrorism suspects.
Continuing the military commissions in any form would most likely prompt sharp criticism from human rights groups as well as some of Obama’s political allies, the paper noted.
But officials who work on the Guantanamo issue say administration lawyers have become concerned that they would face significant obstacles to trying some terrorism suspects in federal courts, the Times said.
“The more they look at it,” an official told the Times, “the more commissions don’t look as bad as they did on Jan. 20.”
Obama previously said the commissions had “been an enormous failure” and during the campaign said he would “reject the Military Commissions Act.”
From Fox News. The AFP contributed to this report.